Thursday, August 1, 2013

Prompt #2 Louis Dessauer

Louis Dessauer

Mrs.Wilhelmus

AP English

8/1/13
Gender Argument

Prompt #2

            The “superior gender” argument has raged throughout our thoughts for an amazingly long period of 
time. Everyone has their ideas to call their own on this particular subject. Throughout time men have ruled our society on every level except for the bottom one. Let us delve into the old society and their thoughts.
            Aristotle’s views on women were typical for his lifetime. Not exactly the “incomplete” part of his idea but there was still the idea that women were not on equal footing with men. I believe Aristotle was a product of his time, a time where sexism and philosophers flew about on the wind. But I also believe that he was entirely wrong. Women are complete human beings with a mind, body, and soul! There are certain chores that men are better at and there are certain chores that women are better at. I do believe the book of Genesis that God created Eve (origin of women) from Adam’s (origin of man) rib. But who in this time period was the most correct in their thinking?
            I do not exactly believe that any of the philosophers were completely correct with their ideas about the sexes. Aristotle was completely wrong; also, both Plato and Socrates had some correct ideas and some incorrect ideas. Of course, who am I to judge their beliefs on the way society raised me or the way they were raised by society? Who can tell if someone is completely correct or completely incorrect? All we can gather is that men were called “superior” for a vast amount of time. We do not have to believe that men are superior (I don’t believe it) but we all believe what is taught and have to either from our ideas around it, or completely destroy that seed and make our own!

            Men in a whole were always “superior” in their house, going from the royal family down to the peasant family. This book seems to be set in the near past but mainly talks about the distant past. As stated before men were always prominent figures in every “line of work”. It is to be expected that males are one of the dominate figures in this work of art called Sophie’s World.

No comments:

Post a Comment